Preparing for and responding to crises via social media is a practice every business should consider. Follow these suggestions when using social media and your company’s website to keep people up-to-date:
- Dedicate a person or team to manage your internal and external social communities.
- Make dark sites—unpublished crisis sites for your company—live.
- Monitor your social media presence using tools such as Cision or socialmention.com.
- Post communications as soon as it is a known fact and engage with commenters immediately.
- Publish links to additional information on your website or elsewhere.
- Don’t censor or delete negative comments.
Each of these practices should be a part of your Crisis Communications plan. To get started,download your free copy of the Preparis Crisis Communications Checklist to coordinate your internal and external responses